‘It’s Healthy to Sweat (and Kinda Sexy!)’
Fitness & Femininity with LENA MAE LENMAN
We hope you’ve stretched this morning, because we’re chatting to performer, producer and Solid Gold fittie, Lena Mae Lenman! Lena is an irrepressible creative force, whose outlets include the Hundred Watt Club, photography, and 80s fantasy aerobic program, Solid Gold Fitness. She brings her bubbly personality to the podcast, as well as her long history of neo-burlesque performance, to inform a chat that ranges from dressing up to stripping off, and why laughing is the best of all ab workouts!
you can listen to the podcast on spotify, apple podcasts, youtube, and lots of other podcasting platforms – check out the source at anchor fm for the full list!
CW: societal ideas of weight gain and how it can impact on our mental health briefly touched on throughout the discussion – no body shaming but if this may be triggering for you, please be kind to your mind and put yourself first.
‘It’s Healthy to Sweat (and Kinda Sexy!)’ | Fitness & Femininity with LENA MAE LENMAN – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & The Arts
THINGS MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST with lena mae lenman:
- Hundred Watt Club
- Cosplay & ‘crap cosplay’ in lockdown, e.g. Spice Girls
- Solid Gold Fitness is on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter
- Some thoughts on ‘toxic femininity’: “The Cycle of Female Rivalry“; thinkpiece on women bullying at work; thinkpiece on media pitting Meghan vs. Kate
- Imperius curse in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (please note we do not endorse JK’s recent transphobic stances and are considering the magic of HP to be separate from the creator!)
- Demi Noire: check out our episode with this diva!
- Lena’s Music Hall alter ego, Aunty Mae
- Libby app by Overdrive
- ‘How To Be Both’ – Ali Smith
- ‘Daytripper’ – graphic novel by Gabriel Bá and Fabio Moon
If any of the issues raised in this episode are affecting you, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
If you enjoyed this episode, you might be interested to hear from fellow burlesquers like Petit Pois, Rubyyy Jones or Demi Noire.
keep up to date with Invisible Cabaret
Be on a future episode of our creativity & mental health podcast
- Tell us what you’re grateful for! We always end our shows with what has inspired gratitude in us this week, and we’d love to include your thankful thoughts too. You can send us a message any time you want to #GetGrateful, and we’ll put them in the Grateful Jar ready for the nearest episode recording. You can Tweet, message us on Facebook or DM us on Instagram with text, photo or audio, whenever the mood takes you. You can also email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or – better still – send us a voice message!
- We are always on the lookout for guests. If you are an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell, email email@example.com introducing yourself and your work, and we will send you more details about how to be a on a future episode of the podcast.
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. Please do rate and review if you get a chance, it really helps other people find our work!