‘‘Bonus Points If You Go To Therapy’
Fantasy and Reality with come curious co-founder & Anti-Shamer, reed amber
Years of crushing finally pay off – our favourite mental health and sex-positivity icon, Reed Amber, joins us on the podcast! You may know Reed best from her work with Florence and the gang over at Come Curious, or from their podcast, F*cks Given. In this episode, we talk to Reed about her journey from hating to advocating: her body, therapy, social media, the works. From CBT to OF to IBS, we’re DTF with Reed FTW.
Plenty of ‘adult’ language in this one, you have been warned!
you can listen to the podcast on spotify, apple podcasts, youtube, and lots of other podcasting platforms – check out the source at anchor fm for the full list!
CW: OCD & intrusive thoughts (3 mins to 15 mins approx); suicidal thoughts (05:53 – 06:10); brief mention of psychosis (06:14 – 06:30); body image, dysmorphia (23 mins to 33 mins approx); brief discussion of SW (33 mins – 38 mins approx) with reference to trafficking (36:30 – 37:30) and fetishes (37:30 – 38:00); brief mention of death & bereavement (39:00 – 39:30).
‘Bonus Points If You Go To Therapy’ | Fantasy and Reality with Anti-Shamer, REED AMBER – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & The Arts
THINGS MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST with reed amber:
- How to pursue therapy: some resources – NHS & self-referrals (UK), BetterHelp
- Hypochondria vs. health anxiety
- The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse by Charlie Macksey
- Meditation & mindfulness for panic attacks
- Parasympathetic nervous system (Reed was right first time!)
- Bloating & IBS – signs to be aware of for similarly-presenting health conditions
- Social media addiction
- Documentary: The Social Dilemma, available on Netflix
If any of the issues raised in this episode are affecting you, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
If you enjoyed this episode, you might be interested to hear from fellow models and sex-positive icons, Victoria Rose, Lena Mae Lenman or Sinopa Rin!
keep up to date with Invisible Cabaret
Be on a future episode of our creativity & mental health podcast
- Tell us what you’re grateful for! We always end our shows with what has inspired gratitude in us this week, and we’d love to include your thankful thoughts too. You can send us a message any time you want to #GetGrateful, and we’ll put them in the Grateful Jar ready for the nearest episode recording. You can Tweet, message us on Facebook or DM us on Instagram with text, photo or audio, whenever the mood takes you. You can also email us: email@example.com. Or – better still – send us a voice message!
- We are always on the lookout for guests. If you are an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell, email firstname.lastname@example.org introducing yourself and your work, and we will send you more details about how to be a on a future episode of the podcast.
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. Please do rate and review if you get a chance, it really helps other people find our work!