‘F*ck the Rules, F*ck the Boxes’
Burlesque, Burnout & Body Positivity with dancer/ choreographer/ burlesque performer, trixie kixx!
Ferrero Rochelle & Rosie Verbose are joined by professional dancer & burlesque artiste, Trixie Kixx! Trixie is a powerhouse queer woman with a passion for body confidence centred around how movement makes us feel, not what we look like. She regularly performs with House of Burlesque and teaches lessons in London and online. She’s also a Queen Crystaller (read, the gateway drug for Rosie Verbose’s stoning obsession, as discussed with Sammy Sparkles!). Join us as we chat about burlesque, practising body positivity/ body neutrality as a dancer, and more.
CW: discussion of weight & body image throughout
Keep up to date with Trixie on Instagram: @trixiekixx, and follow her work with House of Burlesque & Off The Rails Studios while you’re at it! Trixie teaches a class every Tuesday at 8:10pm online and in the studio at Off The Rails (@offtherails.studio), open to all women.
*We also did an episode with Lena Lenman, the photographer behind that gorgeous image!
you can listen to the podcast on spotify, apple podcasts, youtube, and lots of other podcasting platforms – check out the source at anchor fm for the full list!
‘F*ck the Rules, F*ck the Boxes’: Burlesque, Burnout & Body Positivity with TRIXIE KIXX – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & The Arts
THINGS MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST with trixie kixx:
- Trixie in action: classic burlesque strip, example routine from a class
- House of Burlesque‘s lockdown rehearsal process
- Tempest Rose’s Gypsy monologue act
- Trixie’s Bloody Mary act – photos on our social media & website; learn about Mary I here!
- Waacking (you can learn this with Mademoiselle Ginger
- Advice on curating your social media for better mental health
- Re. curating your social media feed – see our episode with Reed Amber for more on this
- ‘Eleveneriefe’ meme
- Roch mentions Miss Mustardseed – check out our episode with her here (also about body positivity!)
- Boots Botanics skincare
- Kew Gardens
If any of the issues raised in this episode are affecting you, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
If you enjoyed this episode, you might be interested to hear from fellow House of Burlesque performer, Demi Noire, or fellow queer showgirls Ida Sanguine, Dee Dee La Femme or Sammy Sparkles!
keep up to date with Invisible Cabaret
Be on a future episode of our creativity & mental health podcast
- Tell us what you’re grateful for! We always end our shows with what has inspired gratitude in us this week, and we’d love to include your thankful thoughts too. You can send us a message any time you want to #GetGrateful, and we’ll put them in the Grateful Jar ready for the nearest episode recording. You can Tweet, message us on Facebook or DM us on Instagram with text, photo or audio, whenever the mood takes you. You can also email us: email@example.com. Or – better still – send us a voice message!
- We are always on the lookout for guests. If you are an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell, email firstname.lastname@example.org introducing yourself and your work, and we will send you more details about how to be a on a future episode of the podcast.
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. Please do rate and review if you get a chance, it really helps other people find our work!