There’s loads of ways you can listen, including: Anchor FM (via which you can find us on lots of other platforms), Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and YouTube.
No doubt, over the last few months, you’ve heard the rumble in the jungle, you’ve heard the brain cogs turning… Well, the time has come: Rochelle’s Dad is finally on the podcast! Not only is it nice to be family-centric in this festive season, but Brian is a top-notch therapist with decades of experience under his belt. It was such a joy to grill him about the ups and downs of therapy, what it’s like from the other side of the desk, and some tips and tricks about how to get the most out of your therapy experience.
Some useful links for mental health issues mentioned in this episode: how to find a therapist; Mind’s latest report on men’s mental health; this great post from the Blurt Foundation about reducing stigma around medication.
⚠️ CW: light conversation about therapy for OCD (6:56 – 7:50); working with sectioned patients, psychosis and violent mental illness (18:17 – 21:25); PTSD and trauma (26:20 – 28:24).
Things mentioned in the podcast:
- What is CBT? (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
- Our episode with Richard ‘The Burly Photographer’ McKenzie
- Our episode with Elyssa on PTSD
- EMDR therapy (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing)
- Yoga with Adriene
- Troupe member Miss Mustardseed’s episode on our podcast
- Socratic questioning
- Long Covid symptoms
- Darron Brown on Soul Central Radio (Sunday Breakfast Show)
- Find a therapist with BetterHelp or via the BACP directory
Edited and mixed by Matt Ennis, www.mennismixing.co.uk
Music: Shades of Spring by Kevin MacLeod, available under license: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
If you’re affected by any of the issues raised in this episode, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
Be on a future episode of the invisible cabaret podcast
Tell us what you’re grateful for. We always end our shows with what has inspired gratitude in us this week, and we’d love to include your thankful thoughts too. Tweet, message us on Facebook or DM us on Instagram with what you’re grateful for, whenever the mood takes you. You can also email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or – better still – send us a voice message!
Are you an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell? We are always on the lookout for future guests. Email email@example.com for more details about how to be a future guest on the podcast.
‘F*ck the Rules, F*ck the Boxes’: Burlesque, Burnout & Body Positivity with TRIXIE KIXX – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & The Arts
- ‘F*ck the Rules, F*ck the Boxes’: Burlesque, Burnout & Body Positivity with TRIXIE KIXX
- ‘I'm A Walking Paradox’ | Brain Science & Sparkly Bras with SAMMY SPARKLES
- ‘Bonus Points If You Go To Therapy’ | Fantasy and Reality with Anti-Shamer, REED AMBER
- ‘It’s Healthy to Sweat (and Kinda Sexy!)’ | Fitness & Femininity with LENA MAE LENMAN
- 'Reclaiming Things I Never Knew I Lost' | Corsets & Confidence with SINOPA RIN
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret!
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you enjoy podcasts: