‘I’m a Big Fan of Suppressing Stuff’
Oh BOY, do we have a treat for you. It was such an honour to go deep with the ridiculously talented icon that is Lilly SnatchDragon. Lilly is a multi-award-winning Neo Drag Queen Burlesque Performer, co-founder of The LADS Show and the all-Asian cabaret collective, The Bitten Peach. Quite a few trigger warnings for this one as things do get raw and real, but this just gives us more reason to love the CRAP out of her. As the kids would say, a queen who talks so openly and honestly about mental health? We have no choice but to stan.
CW: extensive conversation about experiences of racism (especially first 23 mins) & PTSD throughout; suicidal ideation (25:13); grief, bereavement, cancer, death of a loved one (27:50 – 34 mins); brief mention of vomiting (29:56 and 33:18); Atlanta shootings (37:38 – 37:50).
you can listen to the podcast on spotify, apple podcasts, youtube, and lots of other podcasting platforms – check out the source at anchor fm for the full list!
'I’m a Big Fan of Suppressing Stuff' | Smashing Stereotypes and Breaking Chains with LILLY SNATCHDRAGON – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & The Arts
THINGS MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST with Lilly snatchdragon:
- East15 Acting School
- Miss Cairo: @prettymisscairo
- Rubyyy Jones (@rubyyyjones) – listen to our episode with them here!
- Me the Drag Queen: @methedragqueen
- Familyyy Fierce
- Lolo Brow: @lolobrow
- Lilly’s ‘Thai Beginnings‘ act
- Maxi More @fairyprincessmermaidbarbie
- Kawaii: an introductory article
- Microaggressions: how to spot them & some suggestions for dealing with them
- Lilly’s ‘Chains‘ act
- RVT (Royal Vauxhall Tavern)
- Bitten Peach: @bittenpeachuk
- The Cocoa Butter Club: @thecocoabutterclub (you can listen to our episode with fellow CBC alumna Demi Noire here!)
- Stonewall advice for coming out later in life
- Visual migraines: link between headaches & PTSD
- Nervous breakdown: how to recognise one
- Signs of burnout
- Mark Anthony: @markanthony.dragking
- Polly Rae: @misspollyrae
- Atlanta shooting & how to help the #StopAsianHate movement
If any of the issues raised in this episode are affecting you, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
If you enjoyed this episode with Lilly Snatchdragon, you might be interested to hear from Rubyyy Jones, who Lilly credits with getting her into drag & burlesque: have a peek!
keep up to date with Invisible Cabaret
Be on a future episode of our creativity & mental health podcast
- Tell us what you’re grateful for! We always end our shows with what has inspired gratitude in us this week, and we’d love to include your thankful thoughts too. You can send us a message any time you want to #GetGrateful, and we’ll put them in the Grateful Jar ready for the nearest episode recording. You can Tweet, message us on Facebook or DM us on Instagram with text, photo or audio, whenever the mood takes you. You can also email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or – better still – send us a voice message!
- We are always on the lookout for guests. If you are an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell, email email@example.com introducing yourself and your work, and we will send you more details about how to be a on a future episode of the podcast.
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. Please do rate and review if you get a chance, it really helps other people find our work!