There’s loads of ways you can listen, including: Anchor FM (via which you can find us on lots of other platforms), Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and YouTube.
Welcome to 2021, things are about to get fiery… Ferrero Rochelle and Rosie Verbose are delighted to start off the New Year with a bang by chatting to Bria Lovegrove (née Kelly), a soprano whose Masters dissertation was on the impact of tragedy in opera. She shares her experience of how training as a professional classical singer affected her mental health, visiting areas such as perfectionism, self-medicating, the impact on her bank balance and the “grin and bear it” culture she experienced at conservatoire. Do the classical arts glamorise mental ill health?
Find Bria on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/briakellysoprano/
⚠️ CW: anxiety, depression, alcohol as coping mechanism, perfectionism & OCD. Plus a few F bombs, but in our defence, we were pretty PO’ed.
Things mentioned in the podcast:
- Find out more about Brianna
- Help Musicians UK study, “Can music make you sick?”
- Classical Magazine 2019 study on mental health provision in music
- Invisible Cabaret ‘Tortured Artist’ lip-sync: get a flavour on our Instagram
- Text 85258 to SHOUT UK helpline if you need to talk to someone, especially a crisis counsellor
Edited and mixed by Matt Ennis, www.mennismixing.co.uk
Music: Shades of Spring by Kevin MacLeod, available under license: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
If you’re affected by any of the issues raised in this episode, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
Be on a future episode of the invisible cabaret podcast
Tell us what you’re grateful for. We always end our shows with what has inspired gratitude in us this week, and we’d love to include your thankful thoughts too. Tweet, message us on Facebook or DM us on Instagram with what you’re grateful for, whenever the mood takes you. You can also email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or – better still – send us a voice message!
Are you an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell? We are always on the lookout for future guests. Email email@example.com for more details about how to be a future guest on the podcast.
'Always Auditioning' | Opera, OCD and Overspending with Soprano, BRIA LOVEGROVE – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & Creativity
- 'Always Auditioning' | Opera, OCD and Overspending with Soprano, BRIA LOVEGROVE
- 'There Is No Pass Or Fail in Therapy' | The Power of Communication with Therapist, BRIAN THOMAS (AKA Papa Ferrero)
- 'You Can Just Jolly Well Catch Up' | PTSD and Productivity with Illustrator ELYSSA RIDER
- 'We're Revolutionaries Out Here' | I am Artist, Hear Me Art with CURLY CHAOS
- "I am terrified. Are you?" "Yes. We are both terrified." | Making Music and Magic with ROBERT HALLOW
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret!
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you enjoy podcasts: