‘my absolute aim in life is to share joy’
Happy World Burlesque Day!
We’re celebrating with this bonus episode in addition to your usual Friday fare, to talk to the day’s creator, Sapphira. Sapphira is a performer, musician and entrepreneur who also runs the Ibiza Burlesque Festival and always has several arts- and mental-health-themed projects on the go. We chat about bringing burlesque and clubbing together, her love of piano, and how finding her personal expression through burlesque helped her heal from an oppressive background.
Find Sapphira online: @sapphiramusic on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. She’s also on LinkedIn. You can find out more on @worldburlesqueday on the same platforms. Join in with the #BoogieInBoots Challenge on Instagram or TikTok!
CW: descriptions of religious trauma from 8.55 – 16.10ish; brief mention of institutionalisation & psychosis (around 10.35 – 11.05); small, happy discussion about pregnancy (23:45 – 25:20).
you can listen to the podcast on spotify, apple podcasts, youtube, and lots of other podcasting platforms – check out the source at anchor fm for the full list!
'My Absolute Aim in Life is to Share Joy' | World Burlesque Day with SAPPHIRA – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & The Arts
THINGS MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST with sapphira for world burlesque day:
- Neo-burlesque: a beginner’s guide
- Ibiza Burlesque Festival – a little *teaser* video
- Dita Von Teese performing in Ibiza
- Amnesia (Ibiza club)
- Cirque du Soleil
- Check out Sapphira’s book, Burlesque Or Bust
- Brethren sect
- Understanding psychotic breaks
- Cafe Del Mar compilations
- Sapphira’s favourite, Tones, composed by Marc Durif
- Ferrero Rochelle’s balloon pop
- Cotton candy grapes!
If any of the issues raised in this episode are affecting you, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
If you enjoyed this World Burlesque Day episode, you might be interested to hear from fellow burlesquers Demi Noire, Ida Sanguine, or Petit Pois!
keep up to date with Invisible Cabaret
Be on a future episode of our creativity & mental health podcast
- Tell us what you’re grateful for! We always end our shows with what has inspired gratitude in us this week, and we’d love to include your thankful thoughts too. You can send us a message any time you want to #GetGrateful, and we’ll put them in the Grateful Jar ready for the nearest episode recording. You can Tweet, message us on Facebook or DM us on Instagram with text, photo or audio, whenever the mood takes you. You can also email us: email@example.com. Or – better still – send us a voice message!
- We are always on the lookout for guests. If you are an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell, email firstname.lastname@example.org introducing yourself and your work, and we will send you more details about how to be a on a future episode of the podcast.
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. Please do rate and review if you get a chance, it really helps other people find our work!