You can listen to Episode 11 here!
Invisible Cabaret charters new waters this week, as we venture outside the troupe to talk about creativity and mental health with artists in other fields. And after guesting on his podcast earlier on in lockdown, how could they not put Richard McKenzie, AKA The Burly Photographer, top of the priority list! Richard is a fantastic live-event photographer, whose work has earned him international renown in the burlesque community. He joins hosts Ferrero Rochelle and Rosie Verbose to talk about how to keep motivated and inspired as a creative – even in an international crisis – as well as sharing his fascinating perspective on men’s mental health and how cabaret might begin to bridge that gap.
CW – 15:23 brief mention of suicide.
You can find Richard on Facebook as @digitalmck and on Instagram as @theburlyphotographer.
Are you an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell? Email email@example.com for more details about how to be a future guest on the podcast.
Things mentioned in the podcast:
- Men’s Mental Health (UK-based organisations)
- Men’s Mental Health Forum
- CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably, for men aged 16-35) & their helplines
- Dudes ‘N’ Dogs: a community interest group with volunteers around the UK, getting men out for a walk and a talk
- Movember on mental health
- Buy Richard’s Book of Rainbows
- Richard’s photographs from the BLM demonstrations and many more are available to purchase in this book
- Luscious Cabaret, run by Lady Luscious
- Museum of London‘s appeal for Covid collection contributions
- Councillors pointing at things
- Reading Fringe Festival
- The Scarlet Vixens (on Instagram as @thescarletvixens)
- Harlem Nocturne
- Vincent Moon, cabaret performer
- John Cooper Clarke – a couple of Richard’s recommendations: Kung Fu International & I Wanna Be Yours
- Paulus’s original song, ‘Tribe’
- University of Manchester students in lockdown… have contributed to a photography campaign about mental health
Be in the next episode of #InvisiblePodcast! Tweet or DM us with what you’re grateful for this week, or – better still – send us a voice message! You can also email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
With thanks to: Matt Ennis, www.mennismixing.co.uk
Music: Shades of Spring by Kevin MacLeod, available under license: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
If you’re affected by any of the issues raised in this episode, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
‘F*ck the Rules, F*ck the Boxes’: Burlesque, Burnout & Body Positivity with TRIXIE KIXX – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & The Arts
- ‘F*ck the Rules, F*ck the Boxes’: Burlesque, Burnout & Body Positivity with TRIXIE KIXX
- ‘I'm A Walking Paradox’ | Brain Science & Sparkly Bras with SAMMY SPARKLES
- ‘Bonus Points If You Go To Therapy’ | Fantasy and Reality with Anti-Shamer, REED AMBER
- ‘It’s Healthy to Sweat (and Kinda Sexy!)’ | Fitness & Femininity with LENA MAE LENMAN
- 'Reclaiming Things I Never Knew I Lost' | Corsets & Confidence with SINOPA RIN
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret!
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you enjoy podcasts: