Invisible Cabaret charters new waters this week, as we venture outside the troupe to talk about creativity and mental health with artists in other fields. And after guesting on his podcast earlier on in lockdown, how could they not put Richard McKenzie, AKA The Burly Photographer, top of the priority list! Richard is a fantastic live-event photographer, whose work has earned him international renown in the burlesque community. He joins hosts Ferrero Rochelle and Rosie Verbose to talk about how to keep motivated and inspired as a creative – even in an international crisis – as well as sharing his fascinating perspective on men’s mental health and how cabaret might begin to bridge that gap.
CW – 15:23 brief mention of suicide.
Are you an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell? Email email@example.com for more details about how to be a future guest on the podcast.
Things mentioned in the podcast:
- Men’s Mental Health (UK-based organisations)
- Buy Richard’s Book of Rainbows
- Richard’s photographs from the BLM demonstrations and many more are available to purchase in this book
- Luscious Cabaret, run by Lady Luscious
- Museum of London‘s appeal for Covid collection contributions
- Councillors pointing at things
- Reading Fringe Festival
- The Scarlet Vixens (on Instagram as @thescarletvixens)
- Harlem Nocturne
- Vincent Moon, cabaret performer
- John Cooper Clarke – a couple of Richard’s recommendations: Kung Fu International & I Wanna Be Yours
- Paulus’s original song, ‘Tribe’
- University of Manchester students in lockdown… have contributed to a photography campaign about mental health
With thanks to: Matt Ennis, www.mennismixing.co.uk
Music: Shades of Spring by Kevin MacLeod, available under license: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
If you’re affected by any of the issues raised in this episode, please do not be afraid to seek support. Help is available. The NHS website has a great directory to get you started.
'We're Revolutionaries Out Here' | I am Artist, Hear Me Art with CURLY CHAOS – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & Creativity
- 'We're Revolutionaries Out Here' | I am Artist, Hear Me Art with CURLY CHAOS
- "I am terrified. Are you?" "Yes. We are both terrified." | Making Music and Magic with ROBERT HALLOW
- Boys Don’t Cry | Locking Down and Opening Up with Richard 'The Burly Photographer’ McKenzie
- The Art of the Perfect Tickle-Slap | Glamour and Grit with Dee Dee La Femme
- 'Everybody Loves Parfait' | Grease and Grace with Burlesque Queen and Drag King, Petit Pois
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret!
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you enjoy podcasts: