In Episode 6, regular hosts Ferrero Rochelle and Rosie Verbose joined by dancer and troupe sister Belle Bluestocking to talk about mental health and creativity, and what the two mean to her (kind of our theme, in case you hadn’t noticed). Belle opens up about dancing through her emotions, her beloved Sylvia Plath, and why ‘toxic positivity’ can be damaging to our mental health. Plus, did you know you can have a panic attack from happy excitement? Neither did we.
You can find Belle Bluestocking on Instagram as @issybee22.
Are you an artist (of any description) with a mental health story to tell? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about how to be a future guest on the podcast.
Things mentioned in the podcast:
- NB: brief CW at 36 mins
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar. New York: Harper and Row, 1971
- Limón contemporary dance technique, developed by Mexican dancer & choreographer José Limón
- Martha Graham (American modern dancer & choreographer)
- Alvin Ailey (American dancer and choreographer)
- ‘Toxic positivity‘
- Digging for diamonds cartoon
- Dyspraxia – some great support resources on the ArtsMinds website
- Long-read about dance & mental health
- ‘I May Destroy You’ on BBC iPlayer
- ‘Little Fires Everywhere’ on Amazon Prime
- What to do if your friend has a panic attack
Be in the next episode of #InvisiblePodcast! Tweet or DM us with what you’re grateful for this week, or – better still – send us a voice message!
With thanks to: Matt Ennis, www.mennismixing.co.uk
Music: Shades of Spring by Kevin MacLeod, available under license: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
'Scars, Not Wounds' | Sanity, Sensitivity and Sobriety with Theatre Maker, GUY WOOLF – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & Creativity
- 'Scars, Not Wounds' | Sanity, Sensitivity and Sobriety with Theatre Maker, GUY WOOLF
- 'Always Auditioning' | Opera, OCD and Overspending with Soprano, BRIA LOVEGROVE
- 'There Is No Pass Or Fail in Therapy' | The Power of Communication with Therapist, BRIAN THOMAS (AKA Papa Ferrero)
- 'You Can Just Jolly Well Catch Up' | PTSD and Productivity with Illustrator ELYSSA RIDER
- 'We're Revolutionaries Out Here' | I am Artist, Hear Me Art with CURLY CHAOS
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret!
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you enjoy podcasts: