Yes, after a ridiculous delay owing to some technical difficulties, we are thrilled to release Episode 2 of the Invisible Cabaret Podcast!
In this episode, Ferrero Rochelle and Rosie Verbose are joined by troupe member Miss Mustardseed. By day, Miss Mustardseed is a critical care nurse and a key worker in the Covid crisis. By night, she likes to sing, recite poetry, and take her clothes off with Invisible Cabaret. She also brings her professional and personal opinion to the subject of eating disorders in lockdown. Join us as we chat about how the pandemic is affecting her life and mental health, and how creativity has become a vital outlet for her (along with roller derby and binging Try Guys videos).
You can watch on YouTube (below) or listen on a variety of platforms available here!
CW: this episode features a substantial discussion on eating disorders, especially the potential exacerbation of eating disorders in lockdown. We have done our very best to make sure the conversation is not triggering for fellow sufferers, but we’d urge you to stick to the safe side if you feel unsure. You can use the below time stamps to navigate:
00.00 – 08.09: introduction & choosing a burlesque name
08.09 – 14.00: performing with the Cabaret
14.00 – 19.05: being a nurse in a pandemic
19.05 – 37.20: eating disorders & body positivity vs. body neutrality
37.20 – end: weekly gratitude
Things mentioned in this episode
- NHS Wellbeing services for NHS workers
- Support for eating disorders:
- UK – https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/support-services/helplines
- International: https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/treatment-for-eating-disorders/international
- Resources for families: https://familymentalwealth.com/families/
- Megan Jayne Crabbe’s book: ‘Body Positive Power’ – or check her out on Instagram: @bodyposipanda
- Jameela Jamil’s Vogue interview: https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/jameela-jamil-vogue-september-2019-issue. You can find her on Instagram as @jameelajamilofficial – or check out her passion project @i_weigh
- Aphrodite Greene née Jones & Crystal Rasmussen’s song sessions on Instagram: @tomglitter
- Jonathan Van Ness, ‘Over the Top’ (@jvn on Instagram)
- ‘Gay of Thrones’ is available on YouTube and Amazon Prime
- Emily Blunt’s BALALALALALALAH moment frequently cited in this episode is available to watch in its full glory here (original source: The Graham Norton Show, BBC)
'Stop Being Emily Blunt!' | Bodies and Performing with Miss Mustardseed – The Invisible Cabaret Podcast: Mental Health & The Arts
We hope to interview cabaret performers and theatre creatives the world over, so if you have any suggestions or you’d like to make any nice introductions with potential guests who are open about mental health related subjects, come at us!
Never miss an episode from Invisible Cabaret
We release our #InvisiblePodcast about mental health and creativity every other Friday.
Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. Please do rate and review if you get a chance, it really helps other people find our work!